House & Garden

Plates, cleaners, paints, clothes/shoes, CDs, and cassettes

See also Batteries & Household Hazardous Waste, on left.

Residential Curbside Recycling
Weekly collection of bottles, cans, plastics, newspaper, mixed papers and cardboard for single family homes and apartment buildings up to nine units.
Ecology Center, (510) 527-5555. Website
City of Berkeley: Website

Plant debris and foodwaste
Berkeley residents may put plant debris and food waste kitchen paper(soiled paper napkins and towels)into green waste debris containers provided by City of Berkeley. Others may take their garden and lawn clippings to Berkeley’s Transfer Station at a reduced fee.
City of Berkeley: Website
Non-residents may take garden and lawn clippings to:
Berkeley Transfer Station
Phone, hours, location. Website.

Paints, solvents and cleaners
Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facility
All types of cleaners, paints, solvents, pesticides and sprays accepted. Bring proof of Alameda County residency.
Phone, directions, hours. Website

Housewares and furniture – Re-Use
Urban Ore and other re-use facilities buy and sell used furniture, housewares, collectibles and other items. Goodwill Stores also accept clothing and household goods.
Urban Ore: (510) 841-SAVE Website
Goodwill Industries: Website

Mattresses and box springs
Berkeley Transfer Station
Accepts these articles for a $14 charge each.
Phone, hours, location. Website.

Clothes, shoes and textiles
Berkeley Recycling Center
We accept clothes, shoes and household textiles of good quality, that are ready to be re-worn and re-used. Household textiles include tablecloths, towels, beddings, blankets, bedspreads, etc.
We do not accept mattresses, furniture, appliances, carpet, or other household items such as toys or trash. Please bag clothes for easy handling.

Clothes, shoes and textiles must be clean and dry and dropped off in tied plastic bags. A sturdy plastic bag protects the clothes from dirt and simplifies handling.
Phone, hours, directions.

CDs, cassettes, DVDs
We no longer accept tapes or discs for reuse or recycling. Check the Re:Source database at for other options.

Ink and toner cartridges
Most ink and toner cartridges can be returned to the manufacturer free of charge by mailing the packing box via UPS. 
Or bring ink and toner cartridges to:
Office Depot, (510) 525-0176, 1225 Gilman Street, Berkeley. Website

Cell Phones and Accessories
See Electronics in left column.

Most dishes, pottery, crystal, clay flower pots and other ceramics are not recyclable and must be discarded in the trash. Some nurseries will accept flower pots. Re-use organizations such as Urban Ore will accept certain ceramics.
Berkeley Transfer Station
Phone, hours, location. Website
Urban Ore: (510) 841-SAVE, Website

Helium tanks
Empty aluminum helium tanks may be dropped off at Berkeley Recycling. (Universal Waste) They should have visible 4″ hole. Full tanks should be taken to Alameda County Hazardous Waste Facility.
Berkeley Recycling Center
Phone, hours, directions. Website
Alameda County Hazardous Waste: (800) 606-6606. Website

Scroll to Top